Spread the news far and wide: 2b is looking to add a Director of Development and Communications to our team, and we are thrilled to once again be partnering with our friends at Placemaking 4G for our search. See the full opportunity brief here: https://bit.ly/3rp3n5X
Statement of Intention
We welcome and encourage applications from African Nova Scotians, Indigenous People, and Other Racially Visible Persons, Members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ Community, and Persons with Disabilities. If you are a member of one of the equity groups you are encouraged to self-identify in your covering letter or your resume and share your pronouns. We are committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities at any stage of the hiring process.
2b turns 21 years old this season. Built from a fledgling student start up, the company has gone on to stage 24 original productions, including 21 world premieres. Our work has been presented in 64 cities, 13 countries, and five continents. Along the way it has won awards, earned five-star reviews, and appeared in “best shows of the year” lists in major newspapers as far afield as Germany, Australia, and Edinburgh. 2b has won two Herald Angel Awards, an Edinburgh Fringe First, and has been nominated for six Drama Desk Awards. 2b’s shows have been finalists for the Nova Scotia Masterworks Award three times and in 2018, Old Stock: A Refugee Love Story became the first theatrical production to win the award.
Over the last five years, 2b has seen remarkable growth in audience numbers, creation and performance activity, partnerships, and geographic reach. Nonetheless, 2b retains the elements that made us who we are: innovation, dynamism, flexibility, and responsiveness, all in the service of making intelligent, moving, and unforgettable new theatre experiences that move audiences, both at home and around the world.
2b theatre company is a driving artistic voice, bringing innovative works of great ambition, rigour, care, and impact to the world stage.
2b theatre company strives to stimulate the mind and awaken the spirit by producing theatre that is innovative and challenging. We create, produce, present, and tour original work nationally and internationally. Our work is part of the evolution of contemporary theatre aesthetics. We are also an incubator, central to a thriving national theatre community, that offers a range of creation, performance, and production opportunities for arts professionals from our region and beyond.
2b’s Desired Impacts
On our audience: that the subtle change that happens in a person’s body when they are moved by a piece of art stays with audiences after they leave the theatre. We want a world of kinder parents, more engaged voters, lustier laughers, more honest politicians, more compassionate strangers, inspired justice seekers, and better lovers.
On our staff and collaborators: that they find 2b’s projects artistically satisfying to work on, that they grow artistically and professionally, that they feel well cared for, and that they want to work with 2b again. That their work has a long, healthy life and reaches audiences all over the world.
On our peers: that our work inspires artists with different perspectives to make dynamic and rigorous art.
On our city and province: that we contribute to Nova Scotia’s cultural scene in a significant way and are a reason people want to move here, live here, and stay here.
On the planet: we recognize that almost all human activity has an ecological impact. We value continued assessment and action to minimize and offset that impact.
This Moment, This Position
2b is looking to add a Director of Development and Communications to our team. Our vision for this role is rooted in a belief that fostering healthy relationships with our community of donors, sponsors, partners, and supporters is part of the optimal path to sustainable financial health. We value authentic relationships with our funders and share a vision and commitment to building stronger, healthier communities through performing arts and theatre.
Guided by our values of curiosity, connection, and care, you will be part of building something that contributes to our community becoming more compassionate, equitable, and just.
We are seeking a candidate who communicates with integrity and clarity. You can tell a great story, and you care about the details. The Director of Development and Communications will value regular interaction and collaboration with the internal team and external community and will have an innate ability to build rapport with a wide range of stakeholders.
We are looking for someone who has the majority of the key skill sets and the flexibility to adapt to changing circumstances as our organization continues to evolve. 2b is committed to supporting the successful candidate with professional development in relevant areas through membership in the association of fundraising professionals, and access to additional webinars and coaching resources.
This role reports to the Executive Director, but will also take direction and guidance from, and collaborates with the Artistic Director. 2b currently has a four-person management team and a total staff of eight. Through our work, we regularly collaborate with and hire many contract employees and consultants to help us create and circulate our work.
The Director of Development and Communications will be required to perform the following duties and undertake the following responsibilities in a professional manner:
(a) In collaboration with the management team, fundraising committee, and following the approach outlined in 2b’s fundraising plan, the Employee will:
- Cultivate, solicit and steward relationships with key stakeholders including donors, sponsors and foundation representatives
- Produce key messaging and materials for fundraising initiatives including foundation requests, corporate giving requests and requests for individual donations
- Evolve, update, and reimagine development strategies and approaches in response to changing context and shifting priorities
- Strive to meet or exceed fundraising targets as laid out in the fundraising plan
- Plan and execute events and campaigns including the annual mail-out campaign, the spring mail-out campaign and fundraisers
(b) The Employee will be expected to work independently to:
- Maintain a 2b Fundraising Workbook/ Process narrative
- Research funding opportunities from foundations, sponsors, corporate giving and individual donors (including researching potential major donors)
- Produce regular visual and written reports of fundraising statistics for staff, board and fundraising committee and when necessary for foundations, sponsors and corporate donors
- Coordinate and support meetings with key stakeholders including donors, sponsors and foundation representatives
- Track incoming funds including individual donations, sponsorship, corporate gifts and foundation contributions using 2b’s CRM database (Keela)
- Track and ensure the delivery of receipts and acknowledgements including sponsorship benefits, donor thanks, tax receipts and letters of acknowledgement
(c) In collaboration with the Artistic and Executive Directors and staff, the Employee will:
- Reimagine 2b’s communications plan and marketing strategy
- Create an annual timeline and budget estimates that will support both digital content and traditional marketing
- Ensure consistency of voice and brand across 2b marketing and digital content
- Draft and circulate press releases
- Maintain 2b’s communications calendar including posts to social media, 2b’s newsletter and other e-mail marketing
(d) The Employee will be expected to work independently to:
- Create post-ready digital content including videos, graphics, and copy
- Evaluate and report on results of communication campaigns
- Maintain relationships with communications and marketing contacts including journalists, press agents, and tour publicists
- Regularly engage with 2b’s audience through 2b’s social media platforms
- Store and organize communications documents including post copy, graphics, press releases, and mentions of 2b in the press in 2b’s google drive
(e) The Employee will be expected to work independently to:
- Attend regular internal meetings and participate in conversations around organizational ethos, structure, and direction
- Stay up to date on theory and best practices in fundraising, communications and marketing and communicate them internally
- Maintain and update relevant contacts and lists on database
- Maintain and update relevant sections of website
Salary and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications between $40-$42,000 per year, based on a 36-hour work week. We are committed to supporting the successful candidate with learning and professional development support.
Please merge your cover letter and resume into one PDF and Click Here
Applications will be accepted until Tuesday, August 3rd
Please be sure to include a cover letter that speaks to your experience, but we also want to get a glimpse of your personality.
Don’t be generic, be yourself.
Your cover letter should be no longer than two pages and should detail your approach to leadership, outline your key skills, and explain why you are excited by this opportunity.
Finalists will be expected to provide contact information for three professional references. We would like to begin the transition as soon as the candidate is able. A phased approach will be considered in response to the successful candidate’s desires and needs.